now browsing by tag
Being home owners can be a tricky job, one has to keep our houses under maintenance, which turns out to be like a full-time job. There are several things that need to be done to have your homes run smoothly and plumbing is one of the most important aspects of one’s home that one needs to look after throughout the year. While looking into plumbing issues there are several criteria one needs to look into, one first need to realize what all appliances and pipes one has installed, how many of them have been installed and where are they located in the system.
Though if the prevention tips below don’t help you we recommend you calling a plumbing company immediately before any hazards occurs! Our go to plumbing service is The Plumbing Experts, a local Hamilton based plumbing company. You can find them at theplumbingexperts.ca or you can visit their Facebook for more details.
The appliances and pipes also include all the toilets, showers, sinks and bathtubs in your houses and also drains that may be installed. Some tips which one can follow to maintain their plumbing are:
- Always look for signs of leakage in the pipes that are exposed and where the pipes run through the foundation of your house or through the walls. Some of the signs of leakage are puddles of water and watermarks through the walls.
- Corrosion is another important sign that one needs to be on the lookout for. It is corrosion of pipes that causes damage and hence forth leakage. Some signs of corrosion include green stains around copper and brass fittings and yellow/orange stains on old steel pipes. All these metal pipes have to be galvanized in order to prevent them from corroding.
- One needs to always check the water pressure is the force with which the water comes out of all the sinks, faucets and showerheads. If the pressure is extremely low and decrementing that means there is sediment build up in the faucet or shower head. This may also be a sign of a water line problem.
- Remove shower heads and faucet caps to check for sedimentation and clean it out regularly to maintain even water pressure levels.
- Drainage is important criteria of the plumbing system which if not maintained can lead to several issues. One has to check the sink, shower and tub drains regularly for the speed of the drain in order to find out if there is any clogging. If there is not swirl in the drain and bubbles appear when the water is drained; this is a sign of clogging. If gurgling sounds appear, this indicates that there are venting problems with your plumbing system.
- One also needs to regularly check the inside parts of the toilet and the flushing handle by flushing the toilets. The tank should be inspected properly to see if any parts are rusted, broken or absent. One also needs to make sure that the toilet water does not continue to keep running after flushing as it causes wastage of water and check for no signs of water on the floor or around the toilet.
- Another aspect one needs to be on the lookout for is cracked tiles in the shower, sinks, or near any water pipes in and around your house. Hollow and loose tiles are an indication of a leak that causes rotting underneath or behind the tile.
By following these tips on an annual basis one can check their houses for plumbing problems and resolve them before they become a huge issue and destroy your entire plumbing system. Maintenance of your plumbing system will cost you much less than a potential full scaled plumbing issue. It may seem like your pipes are running smoothly now, but if not checked on a regular basis one may miss the smallest problem and thus can invite a bigger issue for ourselves.